Sunday, May 29, 2016

Time to get to work

I have been ignoring the garden and all the plants for about the last month, and now it's summer.

I finally planted the coleus and the begonias in the Patio bed today, so that's good.  I also bought Parsley, Sage and Mint today, and I planted the first two in the raised bed.  I'm giving up on the idea of the Swiss Chard, because I never got around to starting the seeds.  I don't think I will put anything else in the raised bed, I'll just have the two Tomatoes, and these herbs.  I also planted one of the Rosemary plants that I carried over through the winter.

Next I have to fill the Woolly Pockets with soil, and plant the Sweet Potato Vine.  I have 3 that I bought a month ago, and 3 that I bought today.  The old ones actually seem ok.  I am giving up on the Morning Glory, because I never really planted any and the few I had are not doing anything.  So I can take the soil from those containers, dump it into the Woolly Pockets, and we're good to go.

Tomorrow it's going to rain all day, so I would like to get most things planted today.  It would be great if I could get things kind of under control today and sweep all the crap from the patio while it's really dry.

I bought two pepper plants- I did not find a Jalapeno and I don't feel like going to another store so I bought a Habanero and something called a Salsa pepper, I guess?  I put one in a container and I will do the same with the other once I've got the potting soil situation figured out.

I would love to "finish" the planting today or this weekend, and in doing so, I can put away all the containers and crap laying around everywhere upsetting my neighbors.  It's just really hot outside right now.

I've been checking on the Sidewalk bed a little bit, and it's not a good situation. Nothing really looks good.  The Zinnias don't seem like they area growing at all.  Especially not the little Zahara Zinnias right in the front.  They have not changed at all since I planted them a month ago.  They don't seem dead, really, but they have not grown at all.  No progress on the Sunflowers.  One of the big Zinnias has a bud on it, but that's all.  Well, there are a few buds on the Rudbeckia.  The sun and water situation has been pretty decent.  We did have some really cold weather for a bit and that might have slowed everything down.  None of those things are frost-sensitive, so that would explain them not being dead, but yeah maybe it's just a delay.  I also think I might need to feed them.  I figured the soil there was pretty rich, but it's had really serious weed cover for a long time.

The front bed looks pretty decent.  The Day Lilies have totally filled out the space, which is great, but I think I should feed something to promote flowering.  The Clematis is growing really nicely but no sign of flowering.  I think I placed the trellis in such a way that it is too shaded. so I don't know what I want to do with that.  If I tried to move it now, I think I would rip the whole plant out.

I still need to plant the Mint that I bought in a small pot, and I bought a big Basil, and I have a tiny shitty Basil that I grew.

One of these days I will need to really deal with all the weeds.  That's not going to be today.

So about this Side Bed.  The Roses seem to be doing really well, lots of flowers and some new growth, but it is definitely overcrowded with these little sad Hotsas and the one Fern...  there's so much crap in there, the leaves, the wild strawberry, the muscari growth...  If I just got the extra crap out of there, it would be pretty nice.  For that space, if I'm going to have 4 Rose bushes in there, I can't have much else.






No comments:

Post a Comment